Installation & Finishing
How To Install
Do-It Yourself or Hire a Contractor
Installation is simple when you use our pre-cut and finished risers.
• 100% clear silicone glue OR
• Finishing nails and hammer
- Trim each panel to your existing riser size.
- Apply stain and finish. To eliminate this step, order finished panels.
- Glue to the existing riser using 100% clear silicone.
Nail onto existing riser using finishing nails, such as brad nails or pin nails. Nail through the grooved elements of each design by using a nail punch, so to eliminate nail visibility and potential to damage the face of the panels. This installation also allows you to easily remove the screens, if necessary.
How To Stain/Finish
Staining and Top Coating:
The Hardwood Decorative Stair Risers consist of real wood and simply stained and top coated like any other wood product. We recommend you follow the instructions provided on the can by the supplier. The MDF core material was chosen because the stain color will turn up darker within the grooved and cut-through elements of each design. This fact is what significantly enhances the 3D quality of the product and disguises the finishing nails upon installation.
*One Step Beyond™ strongly recommends that water-based or stain & poly-in-1 products are not used, due to the inconsistent finish and the difficulty of application.
*One Step Beyond™ will provide an additional piece of wood material with each order, to use as a test model to help you achieve your desired color.
Finishing Directions for Open Ended Stairs:
• Finish ends with multiple coats of stain for a beautifully finished look.
• Finish ends with trim molding available at your local lumber store.